Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Little Thought I Had Last Night at Midnight

As usual. The time when my brain runs wild and I think about random crap that can sometimes turn into useful shit, and others just.. mush.
but, anyways... what was that thought, exactly?
Music and Sexism.
Yeah.
I know, weird topic. But... really, its true. When people think of certain genres of music or instruments or anything to the effect, often times that specific genre/instrument is associated with either male or female... that bothers me a bit.
Like... most orchestral instruments, such as violin, viola, cello, and even piano are associated with females. Many band instruments, such as trumpet, drums, bass, and, most of all, the guitar are associated with males.
The one I'm going to focus on mostly today is that last one. The guitar.
When most people think of famous, legendary guitarists, they think Slash, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Neil Young, that dude from Styx who's name has currently slipped my mind, George Harrison, etc. Notice how a female's name never comes to mind. If any woman guitarist WERE to come to mind, I would think that it would most likely be Joan Jett, back when she was still a member of The Runaways... but that name doesn't often come to the mind of anyone who isn't the least bit educated in legendary guitarists...
SO. As I was saying. The guitar is a very sexist instrument. I'm actually fairly surprised that no one has ever really... looked into that, if that's the right term. I'm sure there are woman out there today who are trying to change that, but can't overcome the sexist wall that's been slammed down over the instrument's... jeez, my mind is being horrible with thinking of words today... so lets go with variety.
But my main focal point that I'm trying to covey here, is why. WHY isn't anyone trying to change it? And if they are, why haven't they found the will or bravery or whatever to overcome it?
Now, don't think I'm talking down to these people who are making the effort to try and change this... I look up to them, very much so. My only question is, are they trying hard enough?
... here's where I come in.
I know this is going to sound stupid, unachievable, silly, crazy, whichever word you prefer to describe the quarter of a brain that I have, but... if no one else is going to make the huge effort that is needed to change this, I will.
I'll make that effort.
Whatever other people think of me, that doesn't matter. I WILL change this.
I'm not sure exactly how or when, but I will somehow.
You just watch.
Someday, somehow, the guitar will no longer be a sexist instrument. You'll no longer think of JUST Slash or Jimi Hendrix or Neil Young; you'll think of a variety of people... which with not only be men, but women as well.
Women deserve that credit.
We work towards it to. It's not just the guys who have the natural, raw talent in this world, though that may be how people have come to think of it... but, in some cases, it IS the women who have more of that raw talent than the men do.
This will be changed.
No doubt about it.
and that, my friends, concludes my little thought. Thank you. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment